Sunday, April 20, 2014

Vikings, elk and hay oh my!

Yesterday I had possibly the most relaxed family day out I've had in a loong time. For once I was relatively pain free, the sun was shining and everyone was in high spirits.


The boyfriend (above) is a bit of a history buff and when it comes to Viking's he is absolutely enthralled. There was to be a reinactement of "The Battle of Clontarf" in St. Anne's Park, Raheny, Dublin. It was the millenium anniversary and he was not going to miss it. I quite enjoy a good sword/spear fight so I had no qualms about going.



Upon looking out the window yesterday morning he declared "it's a good day for a battle". I felt as if I had stumbled into my very own episode of "Game of Thrones". Let's have at it, I thought. I was delighted when my Sister, my Bobi said she come as she is quite the busy bee, always writing away or attending events or working. It's quite difficult to catch her at times. Then we all three convinced my Mum to join us in our outing.
 "Sure we wont be alive for the next 1,000 year marker". Joyful talk I know but it done the trick.

Brian Boru (High King of Ireland)






The battle itself was incredible involving 700 volunteers from across the globe. We booed and cheered until the final battle call and the dead rose. It was a fantastic display and there was a great turnout. Afterward my Bobi led us to haystack seating areas and pallat tables. Himself and I went for a wander around the Viking village and foraged for food. We ended up all having Elk burgers which went down a treat with everyone.



When I left Mum and my Sis (pic right) sitting down there was a band playing and everything was fairly calm. A half hour later there was hay everywhere. The children had all started to dismantle the haystacks and proceeded to have hay fights. The adults became as bad as the children and before I knew it we were all covered in hay, I even inhaled some.


Just sitting back then I thought, wow this is what it's all about. Just relaxing with family and loved ones. Relaxing, playing, having fun. No one getting cross, just everyone enjoying themselves. It may seem obvious but I think sometimes with this fast paced world we live in it's easy to get bogged down in the hardships we face, the pains we go through and it was just nice if only for the briefest of moments in comparison to the grand scheme of things that we toook time out yesterday to be together and enjoy each other and most of all to make memories.





St. Anne's Park Raheny

We all brought hay home with us. Mum had it in her pockets, it ended up down my top somehow, poor Bobi was covered in it and himself had his fair share. Coco was pleased with his new toy though and ran around chewing it when we came home. Fun times, great memories.

Much love to my Endo Sisters. 

XxxxX




No comments: