Friday, April 18, 2014

Alternative remedies for chronic pain (1)

Like me I'm sure you've been through the wars with this illness and when it comes to talking about pain relief I'm usually the first one to roll my eyes because not a lot has worked for me. It dawned on me one day that my G.P had put me on medication that's also used for Cancer pain and that kind of freaked me out. I have always had a keen interest in the alternatives to convential medicine. I have tried accupuncture for my Endo with successful results, I must actually make a new appointment. My therapist actually told me that there was a "mass" over my right ovary and after what happened on Tuesday I'm inclined to believe her even more now.



I have also tried herbal and homeopathic remedies. Personally, Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus)
(seeknatural.co.uk)
 and Yarrow (Achillea millefolium),
(Etsy.com)

taken in tincture form can sometimes ease my bleeding and the symptoms of PMS but this does depend on the cycle and what medications I'm taking the effects vary. For my pain I have found that Belladonna works great for me. Its a dangerous herb so do not try to cultivate this yourself. Buy from a reputable health store please.
Herbs like Ginger are great for nausea and Nettle tea is an old remedy my Mum used to give me for cramps. It eased the pain I must say and I was really skeptical at first. Again in depends on your pain levels. We're all different. Nowaday's I wish a cup of Nettle tea would do the trick. But I'll stay positive and kick this Endo in the butt. I don't want to get stuck in the negative pain cycle. It looks a little like this and I'm sure we can all relate to it at some point or another;



You are best to talk to your healthcare professional before beginning any course of herbal or homepathic treatment. 

I've heard many people tell me now aboue TENS machines. I have as of yet to try one out. I think I'll do some research into it and decide then. For now here's a little bit about the TENS machines;



How tens pain relief works

At high and low frequencies, tens machines activate opioid receptors in the central nervous system.
Opioid receptors have various functions, including the production of analgesia (pain relief), sedation and euphoria.
When a tens machine is turned up to a high pulse rate, it causes neurotransmitters (chemicals) in the spinal cord to send messages to the synapse in the brain. This causes the spinal cord to block the pain gate, by producing pain relief (analgesia).
At a low frequency, tens pain relief machines also stimulate serotonin receptors in the spinal cord. This causes serotonin to be released in the brain. Serotonin helps to relieve chronic pain.



How effective are Tens Machines

Various research has shown that using a tens machine is an effective way of easing pain, if it is used correctly. The results vary according to the type of pain.
A study done abroad surveyed the effects of tens pain relief for labour pains. 71% of participants said tens machines had provided effective pain relief for their labour pains. Most of the participants said they would use a tens unit for pain relief in the future.


No comments: